Tuesday, January 6, 2009

smelling the roses first requires you to clear out the leaves

I recognised that if my garden was ever to be a place that I wished to stroll around showing others the magnificent roses then I first had to be happy with how it looked! Being a believer in the value of goal setting i decided with my festive holiday to commit to 1-1.5 hrs a day clearing up the leaves and weeds and becoming proud of my little piece of magic. True little is probably not quite accurate as the area was around 300 sq metres of overgrown garden. Including my Turpentine Tree - the major cause of all the leaf droppings.

So on 23rd December I set too and every morning with the exception of Christmas day I have laboured. I have found plants I did not appreciate were there, dreaded onion weed that will be being dealt with for many years to come. I have scratched arms and had to content with March Flies ( why they are called that when they are so abundant in Dec I have no idea!)

I created what I call wild turkey mounds of leaves in 3 parts of the garden; overflowed the garden green waste bin within 1 day and my long suffering husband created a leaf catcher with chicken wire and wooden stakes saying: I have left it open on 1 side for the wheelbarrow to get in ! I day later I had it full and overflowing with more being dumped on the other side - wheelbarrow was never even used.

I have gone through 2 pairs of gloves, 1 pr of secuters , 2 fold up garden litter bins and Bunnings is thinking of offering me additional discount.

Waving to wait until Monday 5th to contact the garden bin man to make an extra pickup has resulted in recognising we have a garden waste transit department at my local council ( open on weekends too!)

So out came the 6X4 trailer from the undergrowth and that rapidly became full of clippings. Clive, my husband considered I could fit more in is I mulched the twigs , branches and bits of trees. On a roll I insisted he dig out the electrical hedge clippers when he was looking for the mulcher.

Enough Enough - it is time for me to walk amongst the roses and smell the buds - OH dear that one has died and needs to be dug out - pass the spade please !!

Lessons learned.

1. make an effort and you will be rewarded

2. a little activity every day gets the goal achieved

3. Work out a plan so there is no waiting for certain parts of the project to be completed first before the next stage can take place.

4. Commit to the achievement having fun with it as you go - very therapeutic to rip out weeds and gather up leaves.

5. Stand back and enjoy the praise from others

green and Brown thumbed Arlene

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My email in box must have looked much like your rose garden. While I am not quite finished clearing it out, being somewhat scratched and bruised, I am beginning to see signs of beautiful people in there that I wish to cultivate. Whether I have to prune them or not will depend entirely on how quickly they seem to outgrow their space in my garden bed. LOL.

Lovely story, Arlene.