Thursday, January 15, 2009

Personal Power

I have been reminded today that you cannot want more for others then they want for themselves. When I was a teenager as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's Awards scheme I spent 6 months working as a volunteer at a Dr Bernardo's home for disabled children;

There I meet Ian and Adele who, like this man in the video, had a superb sense of life and determination. Ian rolled everywhere because it was easier than walking on his bottom and I will never forget Adele sewing with her feet. (we threaded the needle). They had special legs that could be moved by hip movements, however it took so much courage cos if they fell they had nothing in the way of hands to protect their fall! Those children taught me humility, a sense of fun no matter what the blockage is, and a realisation that courage comes in so many ways.

So does it really seem so hard to make a few phone calls to offer others a chance at a wonderful life!

Today with the aid of my competent coach I looked at the bigger picture of what my vision for the future means for me. I have engaged with many of other people's visions in the past: world peace; better woman's working rights; removal of child starvation,equal pay etc etc. These are important and will continue to be so for me.

I learnt today that my vision is the multiplier effect. That what I really engage with is the value of connecting others together to see the possibilities that synergy brings to grow together.

My vision is therefore that I impact on everyone I meet, then they multiply what they got from that encounter so they can impact on others in their way.

However they choose to show up in the world is beyond my sphere of influence it is enough for me to know I started or accelerated it happening,being the catalyst or architect that brought something better into the world we live in.

I will always get you going somewhere! Just as the children I looked after so many years ago had their goals and dreams and I shall remember them forever in my heart.

http://www.maniacworld.com/are-you-going-to-finish-strong.html

1 comment:

engage said...

The Butterfly effect of our actions - great reflections.
Every moment, action, inaction we are changing the world - with clear authentic intention we are making a positive contribution - great vision in action